Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

3.30.2014

Serendipity - day 2





I am so glad I went yesterday to see Herbert Siguenza in his production, "A Weekend with Pablo Picasso". He wrote the play and is the only actor.  He has been touring with the play and the next time he will be at the San Jose Rep Theatre. (The link does not list it yet, they haven't updated their season announcement for 2014-15.)

Siguenza is one of the actors (Big Daddy) in Perseverance Theatre's production of the Tennessee Williams play, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (ending today). I think it was a kind of last-minute decision and also a bit of a rehearsal. He sat onstage and chatted with us (audience) about the play.
Siguenza has thought about writing a play about Picasso since he was a little boy. It was fun to see him actually painting on-stage. He fit a multitude of facts about Picasso in a short vignette of little over an hour, all quite true to life from what I have read. 
And he kind of looks like him!
As Siguenza told us, it took him his whole life to be able to do this play...just as Picasso said, "It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child".

 As a painter, that little play energized me.

1 comment:

Helen Cooper said...

This is a lovely composition, I can see why you chose it from the larger piece .