Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

1.26.2016

26th Painting of 30 - January


I found myself, after taping the oil paper to its board downstairs in my studio, 
making a little painting from memory of the scene that I have been painting for the last 25 days!

I discovered a sentence about memory painting in The Art Spirit that I liked, 
but decided also to Google for more from Henri. 
The first quote is the one that might well BE in this book, 
but I haven't found it yet - the next one is on page 260 in my copy.

"The good thing about painting from memory is that so much is forgotten." (I love that! -t)
 and
"If you work from memory, you are most likely to put in your real feeling." (Yes! -t)
 


Memory - Juneau      6 x 8 inches     oil on Arches Huile paper





You may remember when I took my Marc Hanson workshop in June we worked on a memory painting and I absolutely hated disliked the exercise. Apparently for me, I need more like 25 days of looking at a subject - rather than 4 x 15 minutes! But in all fairness to Marc, it is a very valuable exercise and I plan to do it more often. As with so many things, the more you practice the easier it becomes (that is probably a quote by someone famous, like Socrates ...).



No comments: