Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

11.01.2015

Painter's Salon (+ my 600th blogpost !?!)

Oh man! Really can't believe this post is the 600th one! I love posting on this blog
and just goes to show, "Time flies - - - -!"  One of my favorite posts over these years is 
This from 2011.


Last night I hosted our art salon, first one in a couple of years! We all agreed that we must have them more regularly again. We really do benefit from them ... at least I do.

The way we hold ours is like this and of course there is food!

  1. The person who hosts makes a main dish and then it's pot luck for the rest
  2. People bring 4 to 6 paintings they would like to show, either for feedback or advice
  3. The one "rule" we try to follow is this:
  • Try not to say LIKE/LOVE when commenting on the painting. This is harder than it sounds ... of course there is no penalty if you DO! 
It is way more helpful for the artist if you give a more
detailed account of concerns or why you like or are questioning part of the work.

Wish I could show my friend's paintings because they were awesome! Here is one I just posted on my fb cover. It was a blast to do. I had a bouquet of Carnations and took a break from painting my 24 x 36 w-i-p and this came flowing off the brush.

October Carnations          Oil on Masonite        15.75 x 13

Next post I will show you the actual bouquet and the support this was painted on! Also I will report more progress about the big painting. (Got some great advice about it last night and now I will proceed and it will be finished soon!)

thanks so much for viewing
:o)


2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Wow! Congratulations on #600!

Art "salon" - what a terrific idea! I know it's tough talking about a painting without saying "like / love" because emotion is how I personally react to artwork. I've been in groups like your salon group and have struggled with dissecting a painting even while utilizing elements and principles of design. Sometimes I react to paintings that break all the rules. But you are right. Artists really do benefit from friendly critique. It's good to know we're on the right course or that we need to consider diverging a bit.

Since we're not at the salon, though, I will just have to say I love this painting because it makes me smile. And I love your blog, too. I love your paintings and your stories, and hope you do 600 more!

Teri said...

Hi Chris - really happy you so often take the time to leave a comment. This one made ME smile so much! It is a struggle to describe/define (critique) paintings without saying those words because you do want to say how much you like it or parts of it. Sometimes we did give up :)
Thank you for your sweet words - so encouraging! I do plan to keep going on my blog(s). Happy painting and batik-ing!