Dear painters, art aficionados, and art explorers everywhere. I would never have guessed this journal would keep my interest for so long! Join me as I learn about the processes of painting, drawing and at times, the history of art.
My website is: terirobusstudio.com

5.23.2014

Kongakut River - Headwater Tussocks



I think I am finished with this one. I signed it, so it must be finished.
Also, please notice I have revealed the location!

Here is the progression.

23.5 inches square. Black gesso. 
Under-sketch was in white pastel...then, although I didn't get a photo, 
I did an alcohol wash over the pastel to set it.
 (I still am not quite sure I need to do that step, 
since the pastel is less fugitive than charcoal)

 



Since I only put one coat of black gesso on, 
this is what happened when I put the first layer of paint down:


Can you see those even vertical stripes? Not sure why but I think it is because of grain in the surface of the birch plywood.

So ... I pretty much covered it up with paint and it will be fine.

But! for the next paintings, I will use at least two coats of gesso.

Here are the final stages:



Headwaters (Tussocks)    23.5 x 23.5 inches   oil on cradled birch panel

Thanks for following along. Much more to come.

Oh, and just to let you know, my husband,
 Matt, is making my cradled birch panel supports for these paintings;
 they are 1.5 inches deep.

They are beautiful, and so light! Thank you, honey!


No comments: